Skip to main content

12/27/08

The only problem with staying on the North Shore is that you are in the car for what feels like forever to get anywhere. Saturday on Oahu is pretty famous, I guess, for the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium. On our way, we counted waterfalls on the H3. I can't even remember what we got up to. But eventually, we got there (not as early as some of us preferred) about 10am. It was hopping and we got pretty much all of our souvenir shopping done. We had some really yummy lunch in the rain (yes, it was raining again (or still, I'm not entirely sure which)) where some really nice people with an umbrella-ed table lent us a couple of umbrellas since we left ours in the car. Smart. The thing about the rain in Hawaii was that it would pour for about 10 minutes and be done for a while. Then it would pour again, then it'd be done. And it was warm the whole time! It never got cold. M1 said it was like "taking a warm shower." Perfect description. BTW, I did find another swimsuit at the Swap Meet that was much cuter than the one from Wally.

Another great thing about the SW was that there were actual Hawaiians there to shop for stuff. Not just tourists like in Hong Kong. It was fun even though we stuck out like sore thumbs with our pasty white legs (maybe I should speak for myself) and sandals. I mean slippers.

We left about 2 pm and stopped to get some ice cream. But, thanks to the power outage, everyone was closed. We even went to the grocery store and we weren't allowed to open the doors to the freezer! Crazy. Icee's had to do. On the way back to Kahuku, we stopped at the Blow Hole and Sandy Beach. Being as smart as we are, we didn't take swimsuits with us to stop at the great beaches along the way. And we passed many. But we decided to "get our toes wet in the water" at Sandy Beach. Um, try and guess what happened next. Yup. First, M3 bellyflopped into the wet sand while she was running toward the water. Then, a wave. An unsuspecting M2 got knocked down. Into the water. And luckily, J swooped her up before the next, not-so-far-away wave came in. I never would have gotten there in time to save her. To make the experience more terrifying, she went down backwards which didn't really help in the trying-to-figure-out-what-just-happened situation. Thank goodness J was there to get her. It pretty much freaked her out and she didn't want to have anything to do with the Ocean. When my in-laws picked up the rental car, they people at the place gave them 2 rules. 1. No drinking and driving (duh). 2. No sand in the car. I hope they were kidding because we already broke that rule and we hadn't even had the car 24 hours! Oops.

Comments

Janan said…
were you taking M3s looking at the sand picture when M2 got knocked over?? I was really hoping you had pictures of that fun time!! All I have to say is, I think M2 was freaked out, but I think me freaking out too MORTIFIED HER!! Horrible visions I had . . . . the ocean, not a force to mess with! Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day

So I'm a day late (and probably a dollar short, I'm not sure I haven't looked at our checking account lately) but I was busy over the weekend.  The girls came home (2 days early) and I was in Utah running the Wasatch Back.  And I pretty much missed Father's Day. I got home at 7:30 last night and Colby had made the girls dinner, cleaned up, and started the dishwasher.  They were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  Had it been Mother's Day, he never would have lived it down, but he hasn't said a word (maybe that's not a good thing).  He's a great dad.  As I get teary just sitting down writing this, knowing he will never see/read it, he's amazing.  He's a hard worker and does it all for the girls and me.  He doesn't (usually) complain about anything and does what needs to be done.  He loves the kids and probably missed them as much as I did while they were gone.  I don't give him enough credit for having emotions about anything, but ...

In A One Horse Open Sled

Today we unloaded a couple tons of hay and Colby saddled up Lightening and pulled the girls around our 3.5 acres.  They had a ball and especially enjoyed singing "Jingle Bells...in a one horse open sled."  They make me laugh sometimes.  Ok, fine, a lot of times.

Holy Sm

I started typing in my title and when I finally looked up and saw (at that very point) that I've already used this one. So to reiterate, Holy Smokes! I can't believe how much I have to catch up on! Maybe tomorrow when I don't have visiting teachers coming, cleaning for my mother-in-law to make an appearance, Madie's piano lesson, 6 violin lessons, rehearsal and somehow I found time to pinch poor Meriden's finger in the front door, I'll download some photos from 1. Christmas (What?!? I still haven't done that?) 2. New Years Eve/Day 3. Madison and Mackenzie's first gymnastics meet videos and photos all before we go to another meet this weekend in Salt Lake, making sure I look like a good mom since my mother-in-law is in town (aka having food on the table at a decent hour), teach a few gymnastics classes, getting ready for Madison's big 9th birthday, taking treats into her class and actually getting packed and to Salt Lake all by Friday at 3 pm. ...