Skip to main content

12/26/08

J's friend said she'd give us a ride to the airport in her suburban-type vehicle and wouldn't you know, her 2 year old hid the keys the night before. So Jen got up and couldn't find her keys anywhere. Beautiful. But thanks a zillion times for being willing to cart us over there. You're awesome.

We got to the airport to find that Hawaiian Airlines computers were down. So there was a huge line to check in the old fashioned way. Hand written boarding passes, the works. "Luckily" we had checked in the night before online. Not really--it didn't really do us much good because we still had to wait in the horrendous line to check all our bags and carseats. So we waited and moved and waited and moved. Then we saw a skycap checking some of the other passengers. So while J waited in the line, I headed over to the skycap, paid him a bunch of money and he checked our bags for us. Wonderful! At least now we had a few minutes to grab a muffin and some water for breakfast before getting on the plane to Honolulu.

When I booked the flight in November, we got the last 4 seats on the plane. So obviously we weren't seated together. Obviously (again) that wasn't going to work, so they put us in the very first row of regular passengers. The tv/movie screen was right in front of us. No heads blocking us or anything. This time, M2 sat in a seat just ahead of us. She was sitting next to a girl who was probably 12 named Gabby. Gabby was great. She played with M2, she talked with her, and basically kept her company. Gabby was great. When we were ready to land, the girls couldn't believe it was already over! What's 6 hours on a plane when you've done 14? Again, cake.

We arrived in Honolulu and almost missed Grammy. She blended in with all the Hawaiians with her aloha shirt. Then we went out to meet Granddad in the rental car. We went to Wal-Mart (yes, we have to go to one everyplace we go) to get diapers, a swimsuit, and nail polish. You don't visit Grammy and not paint finger/toenails. And, how could you go to Hawaii and forget a swimming suit?!? I'm retarded. Maybe it's because I had to pack for 4 people, 10 days, and 3 different climates. Anyhoo, we had to get diapers, so why not get it all? Which reminds me, I still have to return that one (no I never wore it).

Then we were off to the North Shore. We stayed just outside of Laie in a place called Kuilima Estates. It is right next to Turtle Bay in a town called Kuhuku. We got to the apartments and unloaded our gear. It was raining, but it didn't stop the girls from going outside and getting their clothes dirty (our 1st of a billion loads of laundry, and no, I'm not really exaggerating). The even put on their swimsuits to run around on the golf course in the rain. I'm sure the groundskeepers loved finding all the footprints from the 4 little girls running around jumping in mud puddles. We had some dinner and started to set up our sleeping arrangements (blowing up air mattresses, etc.) and decided to go to the Temple to see the trees at the Visitor's Center. Lo and behold, as we were leaving, the power went out. It was about 6:30 pm and the power went out. Fun times. Anyway, we went and saw the trees (which were pretty neat) and took a picture or two. Then we went back to our apartment and still no power. Rumor has it (the news the next day said) there was an island wide power outage and the only places with power were those on generators. I guess the temple has 1 or 2.

Grammy had bought little flashlights for each of the girls, so when we got back home, she handed them out. Since there was nothing else to do and it was dark, we all went to bed. At about 4:30 am, I was very rudely awakened by this really loud whirring sound coming from the front room of our apartment. We had left the pump to the air mattress plugged into the wall and on. So when the power came back on, well I think you get the picture. Back to sleep after shutting it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Father's Day

So I'm a day late (and probably a dollar short, I'm not sure I haven't looked at our checking account lately) but I was busy over the weekend.  The girls came home (2 days early) and I was in Utah running the Wasatch Back.  And I pretty much missed Father's Day. I got home at 7:30 last night and Colby had made the girls dinner, cleaned up, and started the dishwasher.  They were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  Had it been Mother's Day, he never would have lived it down, but he hasn't said a word (maybe that's not a good thing).  He's a great dad.  As I get teary just sitting down writing this, knowing he will never see/read it, he's amazing.  He's a hard worker and does it all for the girls and me.  He doesn't (usually) complain about anything and does what needs to be done.  He loves the kids and probably missed them as much as I did while they were gone.  I don't give him enough credit for having emotions about anything, but ...

In A One Horse Open Sled

Today we unloaded a couple tons of hay and Colby saddled up Lightening and pulled the girls around our 3.5 acres.  They had a ball and especially enjoyed singing "Jingle Bells...in a one horse open sled."  They make me laugh sometimes.  Ok, fine, a lot of times.

Holy Sm

I started typing in my title and when I finally looked up and saw (at that very point) that I've already used this one. So to reiterate, Holy Smokes! I can't believe how much I have to catch up on! Maybe tomorrow when I don't have visiting teachers coming, cleaning for my mother-in-law to make an appearance, Madie's piano lesson, 6 violin lessons, rehearsal and somehow I found time to pinch poor Meriden's finger in the front door, I'll download some photos from 1. Christmas (What?!? I still haven't done that?) 2. New Years Eve/Day 3. Madison and Mackenzie's first gymnastics meet videos and photos all before we go to another meet this weekend in Salt Lake, making sure I look like a good mom since my mother-in-law is in town (aka having food on the table at a decent hour), teach a few gymnastics classes, getting ready for Madison's big 9th birthday, taking treats into her class and actually getting packed and to Salt Lake all by Friday at 3 pm. ...