Skip to main content

Let's start with Today

So today is Meriden's 4th birthday.  She had a celebration in her class at Montessori and I was really surprised at how shy she acted while I was there.  I'm sure it was because I was there, but still!  I went in and took doughnut holes.  She wanted to take real doughnuts, but I didn't think that 4 year olds would eat a whole doughnut.  A whole was surely sufficient.  The celebration was really cute.  First they all sang "Happy Birthday" then "how old are you?"  She was supposed to sing "I am 4" but needed a little coaching from her teacher, Mrs. Imberi.

Then each of the children who were 4 already stood up, shook her hand and welcomed her to being 4.  It was hilarious to me.  Then the 5 year olds welcomed her to being 4, then the 3 year olds.  I got to tell about how I got ready for her to come and tell all about her first year with photos.  When I got to when she turned 1, they sang the following song:

"The Earth goes around the sun, the sun.  The Earth goes around the sun.
It takes 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days.  Then Meriden was 1." All this while she walked around the birthday rug (shown below).



I proceeded to tell of her 2nd year of life.  More photos and stories.

Repeat song, but change "Then Meriden was 1" to "Then Meriden was 2."  Walk again.

Same scenario, different age, different stories, different photos.  Same cuteness.

When we got to "Now Meriden is 4," she got to tell about her plans while she's 4.  Those plans include:

Disneyland
gymnastics
school in the fall
get into things when Mom isn't looking.

It was a lot of fun.  Then we passed out her doughnut holes to each child (except the 6 that couldn't control their bodies and got excused from the circle, the nerve of those teachers to discipline!  I hope you all read the sarcasm into that last one) and had her treat.

I have some really super ladies to hang out with every now and then.  Last week when one found out it was "B"s birthday, she asked to take her out to lunch because "that's what the ladies do for their birthday!"  So we went to lunch with a couple of my friends.  Jeff, who adores B (that's what we call her quite frequently.  How?  The evolution of the nickname.  Meriden, Mer-Bear, Meri-Bee, B ) decided to come too.  He and his girlfriend, Crystal, left school to come to lunch with us.  One friend couldn't be there due to some meetings, but we appreciated her thoughts.   And B loves Bajio's.  That's where she chose to eat.  She loved the gifts she got--makeup and some My Little Pony's.  She loves them!

Then we went to dinner with Granddad.  He was in IF doing some business and we went to Craigo's for all you can eat pizza and pasta.  Yummy.  B had a bowl of penne with alfredo and that was it.  She started complaining of a hurting tummy so Colby took her home, Granddad went home to the ranch, and the older Ms and I finished our dinner.  We came home to open presents but decided to save the cake, candles, and singing until tomorrow.  Now she's sleeping peacefully and I can't believe my baby is already 4. 

I love her and can't imagine my crazy life of chasing her around and cleaning up her messes without her.  Happy birthday, Meriden!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockin' To The 50's

We had a lip sync/talent show ward activity last weekend. The Primary presidency, which I have the joy to be a part of, was assigned a lip sync. We all donned our cardboard costumes for "Kiss The Girl" from The Little Mermaid and made complete fools of ourselves. At least we can laugh at ourselves. M1 played a short piece on the piano and M2 played the violin. Both were scared out of their skirts, and asked me to play with them. They both did amazingly and neither one really needed me to be there. But it sure felt good that they knew I'd be right there if they wanted/needed support. I hope that doesn't ever change.

Happy Birthday M2!

I wish I could change the date on my post because then no one would know that I'm posting her Happy Birthday Post 2 days after the blessed event. Mostly because I've been ridiculously busy. No excuse, I know. So Thursday, September 18, 2008 M2 turned 6. She is so many things. Too smart for her own good, loves to sing, loves to do gymnastics. Helper extraordinaire. Queen of the Messy Room. Dress up/tea party lover; she does the English accent like she actually is English. Routine thriver. Picky eater (but she still eats it even if she doesn't like it). Home body. Reader. I mean crazy reader. Imaginative. Great friend. Sensitive. Emotional. Grateful. And absolutely adorable. The day started out with choruses of the blessed Birthday Song. Then we started getting ready for school pictures and Grammy called with a really strange space version of Happy Birthday with her name in it. We finished getting ready for picture day/school and off she went. She got a Lu...

Father's Day

So I'm a day late (and probably a dollar short, I'm not sure I haven't looked at our checking account lately) but I was busy over the weekend.  The girls came home (2 days early) and I was in Utah running the Wasatch Back.  And I pretty much missed Father's Day. I got home at 7:30 last night and Colby had made the girls dinner, cleaned up, and started the dishwasher.  They were watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition.  Had it been Mother's Day, he never would have lived it down, but he hasn't said a word (maybe that's not a good thing).  He's a great dad.  As I get teary just sitting down writing this, knowing he will never see/read it, he's amazing.  He's a hard worker and does it all for the girls and me.  He doesn't (usually) complain about anything and does what needs to be done.  He loves the kids and probably missed them as much as I did while they were gone.  I don't give him enough credit for having emotions about anything, but ...