Ok, see? It has been weeks, at least, since I last posted. Now Halloween has come and gone, and I still haven't updated. Kind of like my scrapbooking attempts--I am so far behind I don't know whether I should just start where I am and work backwards, or go from where I stopped and come forward, never catching up.
I think I'll go from where I am. So Halloween--Adventures in Hong Kong will return at a later date, because believe me, there were many more adventures.
M1 decided that she wanted to be a 50's girl. So we went together to choose her pink felt and pre-made poodle (I wasn't about to try to put that one together myself). M2 was a witch. The same witch M1 was a couple years ago. I realized when sending emails to family with pictures I don't have one of M1 by herself in her costume. Loser Mom. Oh well. M3 was an elephant for most of the day. At one point (no picture to prove it) she was a BYU Cheerleader. Again, elephant and Cheerleader that M1 was a few years ago. Poor kids.
The festivities began early and ended late. M1 got all dolled up before 8am to go to school for a parade and carnival. Then it was M2's turn. She didn't look nearly as scary as she should have. I just couldn't bring myself to make them ugly. Witches don't have to be ugly. In fact, I like them much better when they are nice. Besides that, then the get to wear Mom's makeup instead of green skin makeup which is so much more disgusting.
I got M1 & M2 off to school and ran to Wal-Mart. I had a great idea the night before when I woke up for some unknown reason, that I should just be a cat for Halloween. I would just get some fabric and make a tail and some ears. No big deal. So on the way home I stopped in Hell, and picked up some leopard print fleece for my costume. For all of $1.88 I was a cat. I ran home, sewed a tail, made some ears out of felt and fleece, and decided to make some bracelets and a neck thing because those would make me look more like a cat. Clad in black and my leopard print accessories, I was off to M2's party at school. I was the only parent that dressed up. Why is it that adults are afraid to step out of their shell? Break the mold? Act like you enjoy life? Anyway, I love that the kids all have parades so you
can see all their costumes. They wave like they are in the Miss America Pageant and love every second of it. When M3 and I arrived, M2 was eating a cookie the size of her head. You think I'm joking, but I'm not. She had decorated it with all sorts of yummy things. Lucky for M3 and me, she had to leave it and we got to finish it. Mmmmmm.
So we stayed at M2's party until the end of school and ran home (well, really we drove, and we only went as fast as 5 mph over the speed limit) as fast as we could to grab something to eat before heading to M1's school for her parade and carnival. I don't know about any of you, but I loathe school carnivals. There is too much to do, not enough tickets or time, and the kids get tired and cranky. Silly me for not liking them. Back to M1. We ran to her school (literally this time. I can see her school from my house which I love) just in time to catch the Kindergarteners at the end of their parade around the school.
Thankfully M1 is in 1st grade and we didn't miss anything of importance. So she walked around the school, high fived everyone, and sat down against the wall. I noticed that her poodle skirt was already coming apart (testament of my sewing skills). Great. Don't let that pearl leash fall off your skirt, Sis!
We stayed at her school for the carnival. I must say, it was the best school carnival. They had a Snake Pit, this fun tire swing ride, just like the ones at real amusement parks, and not too much candy. I was impressed with how much fun my kids had. They held snakes, pet bearded dragons, decorated cookies, talked with friends, and had an overall great time. This next picture is M1 on that swing thing. Apparently some man (a friend of this teacher) made it like 40 years ago.
They've been using it at school carnivals for at least that long. It was a bit rickety looking, but there had already been a bunch of kids on it and it still hadn't fallen down yet, we had to wait in line for 15 minutes to get on, and we paid 4 stinking tickets to ride it. They loved it. Poor M3 didn't get to ride it and pitched a big 'ole fit. It sucks to be the littlest one.
Next the snakes. M2 was not one bit afraid to hold them. M1 was a bit leary, but after M2 did it, she couldn't be shown up. Especially by her little sister.
M3 liked the reptiles as well. She wouldn't know the difference between a poisonous snake and her stuffed Panda Bear. The innocence of youth.
So after we used our last tickets, I checked M1 out of school a little bit early and went to The Father's place of employment. You gotta love being the boss so your
kids can come over every day.

And yell and scream, and scare the animals, and drive you crazy. He loves it. Anyway, they all trick-or-treated the Vet Hospital and then we were off. Now, I still had rehearsal--I play for our local symphony. Rehearsal started at 7pm. Is this not prime trick-or-treating time? How dare the conductor ask us to be away from our families (apparently I must be the only one with small children) on a night like this? Anyway, I had rehearsal and knew I wouldn't be able to do much with the kiddos H-ween night. So we all went to the mall where the stores all did trick-or-treating to start the candy gathering. We went through the mall in about 45 minutes (no it isn't very big) and headed home so I could throw something on the table for dinner before I had to go to rehearsal. I think we just had hot dogs (I know, a healthy gourmet meal to contrast the loads of candy and treats we all had been/would be eating the next few days) and The Father came home. The girls and I went out to do some trick-or-treating to the neighbors and had a great time. M1 lasted for about 4 houses and decided it was too cold for her to do anymore. She went home to help The Father dole out candy to the zillions (really, there are more than 150 kids in our primary/neighborhood--I know I'm in the primary presidency) of kids that came by the house. M2 lasted a lot longer than I thought she would. We ended up going to about 20 houses just right around ours. We only did a small portion of the neighborhood.
It was a lot of fun. I dropped the kids of with the Father and I was off to rehearsal. (The photo is all of us that dressed up (notice The Father is not in the picture--he said he dressed up as a vet. That doesn't count, man!) and our cat, Cloudy Kitty.) I arrived about 30 minutes late (I told the conductor I would be late because I wasn't missing this with my children-I'm sorry) and when I tried to be stealthly (I know that isn't a word, but you know what I mean) and sneak in quietly, like the cat I was dressed up as, he looked at me and said, "How Cute!" in the middle of a movement. Eyes left music stands to see what he was talking about. So much for my stealthly entrance. Only one other person in the entire 80 member orchestra was dressed up. And boy was he scary. He dressed up as the lead singer for Kiss. Holy crap, did he look authentic. And scary. My family and I had a bunch of fun that day, and I decided that I thoroughly enjoy Halloween. I know there are controversies about the "holiday" but for Pete's sake, let us all dress up, let loose, and have a bit of fun. And get way too much free candy to get sick on.
I think I'll go from where I am. So Halloween--Adventures in Hong Kong will return at a later date, because believe me, there were many more adventures.
M1 decided that she wanted to be a 50's girl. So we went together to choose her pink felt and pre-made poodle (I wasn't about to try to put that one together myself). M2 was a witch. The same witch M1 was a couple years ago. I realized when sending emails to family with pictures I don't have one of M1 by herself in her costume. Loser Mom. Oh well. M3 was an elephant for most of the day. At one point (no picture to prove it) she was a BYU Cheerleader. Again, elephant and Cheerleader that M1 was a few years ago. Poor kids.
The festivities began early and ended late. M1 got all dolled up before 8am to go to school for a parade and carnival. Then it was M2's turn. She didn't look nearly as scary as she should have. I just couldn't bring myself to make them ugly. Witches don't have to be ugly. In fact, I like them much better when they are nice. Besides that, then the get to wear Mom's makeup instead of green skin makeup which is so much more disgusting.
I got M1 & M2 off to school and ran to Wal-Mart. I had a great idea the night before when I woke up for some unknown reason, that I should just be a cat for Halloween. I would just get some fabric and make a tail and some ears. No big deal. So on the way home I stopped in Hell, and picked up some leopard print fleece for my costume. For all of $1.88 I was a cat. I ran home, sewed a tail, made some ears out of felt and fleece, and decided to make some bracelets and a neck thing because those would make me look more like a cat. Clad in black and my leopard print accessories, I was off to M2's party at school. I was the only parent that dressed up. Why is it that adults are afraid to step out of their shell? Break the mold? Act like you enjoy life? Anyway, I love that the kids all have parades so you
So we stayed at M2's party until the end of school and ran home (well, really we drove, and we only went as fast as 5 mph over the speed limit) as fast as we could to grab something to eat before heading to M1's school for her parade and carnival. I don't know about any of you, but I loathe school carnivals. There is too much to do, not enough tickets or time, and the kids get tired and cranky. Silly me for not liking them. Back to M1. We ran to her school (literally this time. I can see her school from my house which I love) just in time to catch the Kindergarteners at the end of their parade around the school.
Thankfully M1 is in 1st grade and we didn't miss anything of importance. So she walked around the school, high fived everyone, and sat down against the wall. I noticed that her poodle skirt was already coming apart (testament of my sewing skills). Great. Don't let that pearl leash fall off your skirt, Sis!We stayed at her school for the carnival. I must say, it was the best school carnival. They had a Snake Pit, this fun tire swing ride, just like the ones at real amusement parks, and not too much candy. I was impressed with how much fun my kids had. They held snakes, pet bearded dragons, decorated cookies, talked with friends, and had an overall great time. This next picture is M1 on that swing thing. Apparently some man (a friend of this teacher) made it like 40 years ago.
Next the snakes. M2 was not one bit afraid to hold them. M1 was a bit leary, but after M2 did it, she couldn't be shown up. Especially by her little sister.
M3 liked the reptiles as well. She wouldn't know the difference between a poisonous snake and her stuffed Panda Bear. The innocence of youth.
So after we used our last tickets, I checked M1 out of school a little bit early and went to The Father's place of employment. You gotta love being the boss so your
kids can come over every day.
Comments